Wednesday 31 December 2014

What happened to 2014?



It’s the end of another year. 
It’s true what they say – the older you get, the faster the years flash past. At least that means the winter won’t be around too long.
For the last twelve months I’ve heaved everything I can at the depression that’s kept me flattened and fearful for most of my life. The results have been patchy to say the least. I have come to the realisation that from now on it’s up to me. I’ve studied all I can, learned a lot of lessons but nothing will change until I put things into practice. For the first time since 2009 when I gave up chocolates and chocolate bars, I am making a whole list of resolutions.  I was able to give up chocolate, just like that 9although I still miss it!). Hopefully I can give up some of my other bad habits just as easily, simply by making a promise to myself. It’s worth a try.
I am also going to keep a record of the work I do – number of new stories written, number of stories subbed, comps entered, as well as a word count on the various books I have under way. Again, I hope that seeing it written down in black and white will give me that much needed nudge. If I don’t have anyone in my life to give me encouragement (my ex doesn’t read my stories) then I have to find a way to encourage myself. It’s that simple.
I have signed off the dating sites I was on as, mostly, it was a waste of time. I have also given up all volunteering for the foreseeable future. I want to see if being free to do as I want, when I want, will help me to achieve more.
Sales-wise, it was a good year, (47 sales) far better than 2013 when I only sold 20 stories, mainly to markets that paid £100 or less. Of course, that means that I need to write dozens of new stories if I want to repeat that feat. That’s why I don’t find time to write the books I want to write, or at least that’s the excuse I keep coming up with. In my heart I know that’s rubbish. When I’m motivated, the words flow so fast, I can hardly keep up. My imagination is back to full strength, thank goodness, so the ideas are flowing too. All I have to do is get the balance right between work and the rest of my life.
Highlights of 2014. Swanwick.  I chose not to run a course so it was even more fun than usual. I also got to meet Shirley Blair, of the People’s Friend.
Dirty Dancing at the Grand Theatre.
My ill-fated fling with a much younger man that taught me so many important lessons.
Getting my weight down to less than eleven stone.
ITALY. Having hesitated for so long, I managed to get away, abroad, on my own. It was A M A Z I N G and I plan to go again in 2015. Probably to Lake Como, or Florence.
Writing my first ever short  panto. I didn’t think I’d be able to do it, but I did.
I will end with these thoughts. Remember to count your blessings. Try to live in the present. Be grateful for the things you have rather than longing for the things you don’t have.  
Have a wonderful, happy and healthy 2015.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful blog post, Linda! I'm so pleased to hear you sounding so positive. Here's hoping 2015 is even better! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that keeping a note of what I've done, as well as what I intend to do helps with motivation.

    Best wishes for 2015.

    ReplyDelete